Monday, April 20, 2020

The Tough Days





I wonder how you are all doing today?  It was a beautiful day here, and I am so grateful for time spent outside in the sun.  Sunny days seem to make this a bit easier. 

Tonight I thought I would share with you a bit about my yesterday.  
Each week we record our worship service on Saturday, so that it can be ready to be viewed on Facebook and Youtube on Sunday morning, at our normal worship time.  It is always a relief to get it all set up, but then there is this half hour period between our Sunday school zoom gathering, and the beginning of worship.  I find myself full of nerves as I sit in front of the computer hoping it will all go as it is supposed to, and ready to "fix" it if something goes wrong.  

And as it starts I see the names of people pop up and say hello, checking in.  Some of these names are people I normally see on Sunday, others are persons I have loved for years, but don't get to see because they live so far away.  Once in a while I will see someone join that I haven't talked to since high school, or a family member of one of our parishioners joining in from another state.  There is this rush of joy to know that we can gather, even though we are not physically together.  And yet, yesterday I found myself so filled with sadness.  I just longed for normal, for the energy of the gathered people of God that fills my spirit on Sunday mornings.  I miss the joy of seeing new faces, and the comfort of hugging those people who have attended for years.  I miss the sound of laughter and the fist bumps I receive during children's time.  And the list could go on...and on.  

Figuring out ministry in this context has been a challenge, but I have found such joy in the fact that people are hanging in there and trying their best to stay connected.  I can generally find something hope-filled and positive about most situations.  But yesterday I just tanked.  I'm not telling you this to ask for encouragement, or for your affirmations, because I think it was just my turn.  I'm just telling you this because I imagine that many of you have gone through, or are going through days a bit like this one was for me.  And, it doesn't look like the end is in sight anytime soon.  

It made me think of the beloved Scripture from Matthew 11 that says: 
28 “Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
I have often heard people say things like, "Just give it to Jesus.  He will take care of it."  But when I read these verses I realize that what Jesus is saying isn't, hand over all your tough stuff and I'll deal with it.  What Jesus is saying is, share with me your burdens, and together we will journey through this.  Together the burdens of life are lessened, and when we stay connected we can find rest.

The Message Version of this same Scripture says:
28-30 “Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”
This morning dawned and it was a new day, though they do seem to be running together a bit.  I realized that today needed to be soul-filling in a different way.  So, for me, today was a day of putting away my phone, setting aside the computer and spending a bit of time with some people I love, outside just being.  I have reflected today on what it means to "learn the unforced rhythms of grace."  I am not very good at making space for real rest, and yet this is such an important aspect of the life of faith.  

Barbara Brown Taylor puts it beautifully in her statement above.  We learn things from the darkness, from the hardest days and the longest nights, that we might not learn any other way. I wonder what things you have learned about yourself in the last six weeks?  How have you been learning about the rhythms of grace?  These rhythms are comfortable, free, and light.  

So, my prayer for all of us tonight is that we might engage this time less focused on output or getting things done, and come to a new understanding of what it means to be yoked with Christ, the author of these unforced rhythms of grace.  

Blessings, my friends.
Pastor Devon





No comments:

Post a Comment