Thursday, April 16, 2020

Grateful


This might be one of my all-time favorite pictures of ministry, just sent to me this week.  I have been trying to connect with the children in our congregation each week over Zoom.  I never feel prepared for this, and I'm never really sure it is working.  But we meet, and we tell jokes, and play Pictionary, and I try hard to ask them questions about life and faith, and  affirm Jesus' love for each of them.  It might be most important that each of these young people remember that they have friends at church, which someday may become the kind of friends they can always rely on, even in the middle of the night.  

These children have no idea the gift they give me each week when we meet, allowing me into their lives for just a moment.  They laugh, and talk about butts, and we are reminded that even social distancing can't stop our laughter and connection.  They remind me to slow down and just give thanks for the gift of relationship and the joy of being welcomed into another persons life, even if it just for a moment.  

I am used to doing ministry, being present, offering help and prayer whenever I can, and these children remind of the gift of receiving and being.  Perhaps like me, you have trouble receiving, and are much more comfortable being the giver.  This is something that has been a real challenge for me, to just say thank you, and receive the gifts and care of other people.   

Children get this.  They anticipate with excitement the gifts they will receive and they aren't afraid to ask for the love they need, when they need it.  Jesus seemed to recognize this truth and challenged the disciples to embody it in Matthew 18:1-4:
At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” He called a child, whom he put among them, and said, “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever becomes humble like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me. 
Perhaps it is in the excitement and eager joy of children that we come to understand what it means to truly embody the joy of the Kingdom.  This is a lesson I have been learning for the last year, as in the midst of great challenge people surrounded me with such great love and support.  My immediate reaction was surprise....why would people take time out of their busy lives to embrace, encourage, and care for me?  

In the last few weeks I have been the recipient of some wonderful gifts.  I am certain that some have come straight from God, as answers to prayers long-lifted.  Others have come in the form of banana bread, cookies, and casseroles, cards, messages, and phone calls of encouragement and concern. God continues to teach me the humble spirit of a child that receives with great thanks, and celebrates these gifts as glimpses of God's overwhelming love for each of us.  But receiving is hard, and I continue to face that tempting voice that assumes I am not worth all this effort.  

Are you aware of the gifts in your midst?  Have you, too, been the recipient of God's kindness and grace lately through the hands or words of another person? Gratitude is a spirit that I always hope to embody, and I have come to realize that sometimes I actually deny that by being so stubborn about being the giver, at the expense of receiving. 

So friends, for what are you most thankful tonight?  And how is your spirit of gratitude these days?  I am certainly a work in progress.

Thank you to all of you who have been a source of encouragement and love for me!
Pastor Devon 

  
 

1 comment:

  1. I am grateful for your leadership and the way you relate to us.

    ReplyDelete