Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Earth Day is EVERYDAY.

Today is Earth Day, and I hope you have had an opportunity to reflect on that, at least a bit.  For us, it has been a snowy one, which most people aren't too happy about.  But, this too shall pass.  I wonder if you have kept on eye on the things that are happening to the Earth, now that the humans have been put on restriction.  The Earth is healing, and it is pretty fascinating to read about.  (One article from earlier is here: Climate Crisis in Coronavirus, but you can find all sorts of interesting things about this online.) 

I have been so blessed in my life to experience the beauty of creation in all sorts of ways.  I love to be outside, and have experienced God in such profound ways just by being present with creation.  When I was trying to figure out if God could possibly be calling me into a life of ministry I spent an entire summer sneaking moments before work on the beach in Saugatuck with my Bible, just praying that God would help me figure out what I needed to do. God moved big for me that summer.  

I was so blessed when working with Hearth to Hearth Ministries to be in Africa multiple times. (Check them out here and adopt a child who needs you: https://hearthtohearth.org/). It is one of the most beautiful places I will ever go in my lifetime, with the most beautiful young people.  I met God in new and life-changing ways there.  
  
                               






A few summers ago, after my first year in campus ministry I was again reminded of the healing power of nature on a retreat at the Holy Island of Lindisfarne.  This was a life changer for me, and offered my soul the rest it needed.  This tidal island is a place of pilgrimage, and walking from the mainland to the Island, with the seals barking and the North Sea wind whipping reminded me of God's persistent presence and care for me. 




When I think about the beauty of our earth and the amazing creatures therein, I recognize the depth of our responsibility as its stewards.  We have failed so often and are now seeing the consequences of our abuse of the earth, our constant over-use, and disregard of that which truly does keep us alive.  So much of our activity as humans is about getting what we want, when we want it.  It is good to be reminded that we have responsibility to care for the other creatures too.  

Thanks for letting me share these pics with you, I wonder where you have met God in the wild world?  Have you taken some time lately to just listen to the sounds outside? Did you wake up early enough to see the sunrise this morning? 
We can't take all of this for granted, because it speaks boldly of the creativity of our Creator.  God is still creating, redeeming, and sustaining...let's do our part to help.  

Be Blessed,
Pastor Devon

No comments:

Post a Comment