Friday, March 27, 2020

Learning

Proverbs 3:1-6 says: 

My child, do not forget my teaching,
    but keep my commands in your heart,
for they will prolong your life many years
    and bring you peace and prosperity.

Let love and faithfulness never leave you;
    bind them around your neck,
    write them on the tablet of your heart.
Then you will win favor and a good name
    in the sight of God and humankind.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to God,
    and God will make your paths straight.

Well, we have made it to the weekend.  It is funny how quickly we can lose track of days now that many of our schedules are so drastically different.  I generally look forward to Fridays because they are less busy, and often I take the whole day off and try not to focus on all things church.  Under this stay-at-home order it seems there is a different spirit going into this weekend. 

I have been pondering this week what it is that God is teaching us through all of this.  Have you taken some time to reflect on that at all?  It is so obvious to me that if there were one way God could get my attention in the midst of a busy life that can be overwhelming - it is to completely take me out of my comfort zone.  These days I am about as out-of-my-comfort-zone as possible.  And yet, in the midst of each day I find that God continues to teach me something new about myself.  These lessons have not all been easy so far, and have genuinely led me to some super-emotional times as I have the time to process all the things that have happened in my life the past six months.  I am recognizing that while I would never have asked for this quarantine time, nor do I take lightly the fear that comes along with Covid-19, I may be in the midst of an opportunity to come out of this a better human being than I was before it began.  

So I wonder, what is God teaching you these days?  What are you learning about yourself and others?  The Scripture passage above is often quoted, but serves as a reminder to trust God and not to rely only on our understanding.  The revelation of God is ongoing, so what are you learning about the God who loves you in the midst of this difficult season? 

May God continue to speak new truth and insight into our hearts.  We certainly have much more to learn.  

Have a great weekend!
Pastor Devon

2 comments:

  1. No conclusions about what God is trying to teach me yet. I'm concentrated on staying open to the message. Have you noticed that spring is coming? I'm appreciating that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meaningful. Thank you again for your sharing, pondering leadership!
    The first challenge is to share the story...to sit among the children...to hear from them....as well as they from us... much as Jesus did in the Temple at age 12.
    And as an adult he shared for ...with us ...let the little children come to me. I'm grateful that I feel God's spirit deep within me...yesterday,today, and I anticipate into the unknown tomorrow. Thank you to all who scattered those seeds.

    ReplyDelete