Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Singing a New Song

As I write tonight I'm listening to one of my favorite musicians sing her heart out on Instagram.  Though there's probably a million people watching, I feel like she's singing right into my heart.  There's something about music for me that truly grounds and draws me into the presence of the Sacred.  This connection might have begun before I was born, as my mom has been a church organist/pianist my whole life.  Music often speaks to me in a way that nothing else seems to, giving words to things that I may not be able to express well myself.  

One of the best gifts so far of this time has been the willingness of artists to share their art, whether it be music, drawing, children's stories, teaching yoga, or just allowing their talent to shine without reservation.  I hope you have been able to join in on some living room concerts, or drawing lessons for a bit of a break from the solitude.  

On Sunday I read Psalm 40 and I thought I'd share a small portion of that tonight. Psalm 40:1-3 says,

I waited patiently for the Lord;
    he inclined to me and heard my cry.
He drew me up from the desolate pit,
    out of the miry bog,
and set my feet upon a rock,
    making my steps secure.
He put a new song in my mouth,
    a song of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear,
    and put their trust in the Lord. 

U2 actually did a cover of this Psalm back in the 80's when they ran out of studio time.  Facing the time crunch, Bono flipped open his Bible and found this Scripture.  They wrote and recorded it right then and there and it became a closer for many of their concerts.  Singing a new song is a beautiful way to think about what we are in the process of doing right now.  Without hesitation I can tell you that all around me, in conversation and reconnection with folks from the past, in new friendships and deep spiritual connections, God is doing a new thing, placing songs into our souls that have never been written before.  

So my question tonight is pretty simple.....what's the new song being written in you?  And, are you brave enough to sing it?

I hope so.  The world needs you right now.

Rest well, friends.

Pastor Devon







No comments:

Post a Comment