Monday, February 15, 2016

Teaching an "old" dog new tricks.



Welcome to my life! This is how I feel some of the time, just a taste of the many things I learn working with young adults.  Honestly, this app has cracked me up for days now.  In fact, it's taken me some time to figure out just how hilarious it can be.  We are in the midst of final preparations for our Cake Auction, an event that helps us raise funds for our spring break mission trip to NYC.  This trip is going to be amazing and I am anxious to see the many ways we will be changed as we work with the homeless population, the elderly, and the hungry.  We will even offer a prayer station on Wall Street for a few hours, praying with anybody who stops by.  This will STRETCH my students (and me too!)

I've never much liked the "party-planning" piece of ministry.  I'm not very good at it.  Waiting and praying for all these details and plans to fall into place in order that things run smoothly can make me a nervous wreck.  I don't know how many times in preparing for these events I have convinced myself that nobody is going to come, only for God to knock my socks off with blessings.  So I too find myself constantly on this journey of trust, patience, and planning.  I am a work in progress, just ask anybody who has to be around me these days!

In the midst of the most tedious of tasks: sending emails, writing letters, printing schedules and liability forms, and dealing with a bit of extra drama on the side I find that I can become pretty joy-less.  That's when somebody pops into my office and teaches me about these silly filters on SnapChat.  These moments filled with laughter remind me that there is joy in the midst of the details - as we read in Scripture, there's even joy to be found in the deepest struggles.  Sometimes all it takes is one person, or one moment of absurdity to help us regain perspective.  If the God who created us, knit us together for a purpose we cannot lose hope and joy when the details of the world overwhelm us.  After all, our joy is in the Lord, right?!

The Scripture I read this morning really spoke to me about this, Psalm 126:

1-3 It seemed like a dream, too good to be true,
    when God returned Zion’s exiles.
We laughed, we sang,
    we couldn’t believe our good fortune.
We were the talk of the nations—
    God was wonderful to them!”
God was wonderful to us;
    we are one happy people.
4-6 And now, God, do it again—
    bring rains to our drought-stricken lives
So those who planted their crops in despair
    will shout hurrahs at the harvest,
So those who went off with heavy hearts
    will come home laughing, with armloads of blessing.



And now God, do it again!  In the midst of crazy political campaigning,  the nitty-gritty details of our days, long work hours, grumpy and tired moments, snow....may we be opened up to the realization that we are God's beloved...now and forever. 

What brings you joy this day, and how have you shared that joy with others? 

2 comments:

  1. It is nice to see that your finding some happiness, excitement and silliness with the students at Wesley House. It is also nice to see you are finding it to be something to help you grow and learn new things.

    I hope your mission trip is a success. It seems like being a pastor takes a lot of hard work. What you do is pretty admirable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an older friend, I can remember sitting in the front pew with other 'teens' on a Sunday Evening service...and we sang these words..."Sowing in the morning, sowing seeds of kindness, sowing in the noontide, and the dewy eve. Waiting for the harvest and the times of reaping, we will come rejoicing bring in the sheaves." I guess even way back then they, the REALLY old ones, understood. Isn't that awesome! The lyrics may change generation to generation...BUT THE MESSAGE IS THE SAME! Thanks, friend, for the reminder and you and your team be blessed!

    ReplyDelete