Tuesday, February 16, 2016

9 Servings of Fruit


All of the members of my immediate family are enjoying warm weather.  It is fun to hear from them as they have adventures, see new things, and let me know some of the details of their days.  Here in Big Rapids we had another dark winter day.  I am one of those people that loves the sun.  I can only take so many days like today before I need to see the sun, even if the temperature is cold.  Many people up here really suffer from the change of seasons and the dark days that often come with long winters.  For me the darkness can make me want to hibernate, sleep, eat, and wear sweatpants.  This seasons also brings with it a change of perspective as things go sort of dormant, waiting for the first signs of spring.   

For me, this seasonal cycle coincides with the liturgical calendar of the church.  As we begin to look toward spring we head into this time of Lent, which helps us to pause and take an intentional look at our faith journey.  This is a necessary part of the year for me as I can often become sort of lackadaisical in my spiritual disciplines.  Hearing the tales of warm sunny days, orange juice and strawberries reminded me today of the scripture about the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5).  

Take a look at the list above.  These are the things that are born in us when we are connected to the Spirit.  These are the results of the deep, challenging journey of trusting God, deepening our relationships with God and others.  These are the attributes out of which we yearn to live as disciples of Jesus.  I long for my life to be more about these fruits and less about my ego, my opinions, and my desires.  How about you?

My prayer for tonight is simple:  
Jesus, help me to be open to the Spirit.  Teach me how to be less in order that these fruits be born again in me.  Help me to love, to be kind, to have discipline, and to be gentle.  Plant these seeds in me that I may bear Your fruit.  Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment