Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Perspective


Wesley  House has a mouse (or mice?) which we are trying to trap.  Setting mouse traps makes me feel like I could lose a finger at any moment.  This afternoon a student sent me this picture and I thought we had the smartest mouse in town - like it could read the sign or something!  I also began to wonder just how many of these little creatures might be running around our kitchen (GROSS!)  Just as I was pondering this I received the message that this was just a photo-shopped image.  They laughed that it actually fooled me, but even now I think it looks real!  It's all a matter of perspective I guess.  

Perspective seems to be the theme of my week thus far.  I have been dealing with some tension between my leaders and their ability to care for, respect, and work with one another.  It's a subtle tension that always seems present and it makes my brain and heart hurt!  It's hard for us to see where another person is coming from, and even hard to care for another person when you disagree with their rationale.  We perceive things through the lens of our experiences, our opinions and desires.  It's easy to assume that we are in the right and the other is clearly in the wrong.   Often these misconceptions are rooted in our failure to communicate clearly with one another.  Sometimes, whether we like it or not, we just fail to remove our egos from the equation and point fingers.  

This isn't a new phenomenon, just read this Scripture from Luke's gospel:  
The Pharisee and the Tax CollectorHe also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt: 10 “Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector.11 The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed[a] thus: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’ 13 But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’ 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.”

We can choose who we want to be like in this parable.  Do we want to look upon others with disdain, mocking them in order that we praise God for making us the superior person?  Do we come to God like the tax-collector, humbled and ready to ask God to right our actions and thoughts?  Perhaps we are a mix of both of these characters as we go through the often challenging process of learning from and looking through another person's perspective.  

Before assuming someone else is wrong isn't it worth the investment of time to ask "What makes them act/respond this way?"  What are the struggles of a person's heart that lead them to make the judgement calls they make?  How can we look beyond getting what we want/our own desires in order that all people have the opportunity to utilize their gifts for the Kingdom of God?

Thankfully my mouse friend is NOT real.  My perspective changed quickly upon getting all the facts.  I wonder though what other situations in my life I am reacting too quickly to, leading to false perceptions.  Who am I judging harshly though I do not have all the facts?

As the Psalmist wrote in Psalm 139, "Search me O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.  See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."  This is my prayer tonight for myself, for my Wesley leaders, and for you!  Thanks be to God.  

1 comment: