Friday, April 4, 2014

Lent Devotion: The Love Test

One of the most well-known Scripture passages for weddings is 1 Corinthians 13.  While it is certainly appropriate for the love shared between spouses, we may limit the power it if only used in this context.

Check it out:

Love never gives up.
Love cares more for others than for self.
Love doesn’t want what it doesn’t have.
Love doesn’t strut,
Doesn’t have a swelled head,
Doesn’t force itself on others,
Isn’t always “me first,”
Doesn’t fly off the handle,
Doesn’t keep score of the sins of others,

Doesn’t revel when others grovel,
Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
Puts up with anything,
Trusts God always,
Always looks for the best,
Never looks back,
But keeps going to the end.


In the context Paul was speaking to, namely the early Christian community in Corinth, I think this passage can speak to nearly every partnership in our lives.  I like to think that Paul was writing about friendship.  I hope you have experienced friendship like this in your lifetime.  This is the kind of relationship that helps you be the best you! 

With Whom have you truly found this type of relationship? What has it taught you about yourself? How have you grown in some of these areas? Which are the most challenging?  How might you reconnect with or encourage someone who has been a true friend to you?

Prayer: Jesus you have challenged us to not only love others, but to befriend them.  Help me to be open to the power of friendship in my life.  Open my eyes to those who long to know a true friend.  Most of all may I recognize that friendship is another way for me to recognize your love for each of us.  Amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment