Monday, March 31, 2014

Lent Devotional: Vulnerable




I hope you have read at least a few of Shel Silverstein's poems.  This is one of my favorites, because there have been so many times in my life when I just think a good hug might solve a lot of problems.  While it might seem like a silly children's poem, it seems to get to the root of many of the deep struggles in the world.  I guess when you get right down to it, we really are all the same - we all want to be loved.  

It is easy for me to talk about the love God has for you.  It feels like my calling to make sure you know that you matter and that God longs to be in a deep relationship with you.  In some way I preach about love every single Sunday morning.  I think the most difficult part of faith for me has been to receive the depth of that love.  It is really hard to grasp, isn't it?  I think we catch glimpses of this love as we share our lives with one another.  Being open and vulnerable with each other can feel very risky, but in the end it is this vulnerability that adds strength to our relationships.  It is only in opening ourselves to God that we can begin to understand the gift of love and grace that comes to us in Jesus Christ.  

I love how The Message version of the Bible states this in Romans 12:

9-10 Love from the center of who you are; don’t fake it. Run for dear life from evil; hold on for dear life to good. Be good friends who love deeply; practice playing second fiddle.
11-13 Don’t burn out; keep yourselves fueled and aflame. Be alert servants of the Master, cheerfully expectant. Don’t quit in hard times; pray all the harder. Help needy Christians; be inventive in hospitality.
14-16 Bless your enemies; no cursing under your breath. Laugh with your happy friends when they’re happy; share tears when they’re down. Get along with each other; don’t be stuck-up. Make friends with nobodies; don’t be the great somebody.
17-19 Don’t hit back; discover beauty in everyone. If you’ve got it in you, get along with everybody. Don’t insist on getting even; that’s not for you to do. “I’ll do the judging,” says God. “I’ll take care of it.”
20-21 Our Scriptures tell us that if you see your enemy hungry, go buy that person lunch, or if he’s thirsty, get him a drink. Your generosity will surprise him with goodness. Don’t let evil get the best of you; get the best of evil by doing good.


One of the greatest gifts of ministry is recognizing God's image in the people I serve.  It is an immeasurable gift when someone allows you into the vulnerable parts of their spirit.  It is a measure of love when someone receives you and me exactly where and how we are - no matter what.  These kinds of relationships may seem few and far between, but they are the kind that last a lifetime.  

Are you vulnerable?  Can you see vulnerability as a gift, rather than a risk?  How about verse 9 above, do you love from the center of who you are?  How have you experienced the very love of God?

And, last question for tonight.....Who's ready for  a hug-o-war?


Prayer:  God of love I thank you for meeting me right where I am.  I thank you for trusting me with the love and care of others and pray that I take seriously this commitment.  Help me to be vulnerable and open, to recognize those who may be in need of a good friend, and to do my best to respond with loving-kindness.  Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment