Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Three Pointers & Peace

I love the game of basketball.  I used to be pretty good at it, but haven't been able to play competitively in a while.  Aside from the fact that I really need to get back into a shape that's not round, I generally find myself in the gym (our church Community Center) with people much smaller (and more breakable) than me.  

Playing basketball really helped me become a person I respected.  The journey started way back in middle school when we played on Saturday mornings.  I wasn't very good at it until I finally grew and got a little more coordinated.  I really think that I fouled-out of every game but two my freshman year.  (I think I was trying to be a blocker...but really my big feet and I just hadn't found common ground.).  I only played one season in college, and I wasn't very good, but that year taught me about the power of perseverance and accomplishing goals that seem impossible.  I really miss playing competitively, but the basketball court has become something different to me since I became the pastor in Lake Ann.  

When I arrived in LA (yes, that's what we call it), we had this building that seemed way to big for us, way too expensive for us, and under-utilized.  Now the same building hosts many activities, worship services, wedding receptions, and sports teams each week.  The transition has been a clear goal of the people here:  to be more engaged with our community.  While this alone is exciting (and gives great honor to our great God) what I have learned the most about God's desire for this church happens on Wednesday evenings.  

Each Wednesday following fellowship time and supper at our Village Church a group of us head down to the gym for some basketball. This is where God teaches me lessons about the Body of Christ each week.  Let me tell you about the group that played basketball tonight:  
*Three teenage boys who are fast runners, high jumpers, and good friends.  
*One 20-something couple and two 18 year-olds with special needs
*One 7th grader, one 6th grader, one 2nd grader, and a 1st grader.
* One young 27 year-old guy who helps to keep things running smoothly
*One 32 year-old pastor who is too competitive.

Keep in mind that this is only the group that met tonight, we often have many  more people that offer even more diversity.  The most amazing things happen while we play.  While the three young guys love to run circles around us, steal the ball as fast as they can, and make some amazing shots...they also stop us in our tracks and make sure that the 1st grader gets to shoot it.  Anyone who might have more challenges gets at least three attempts to make the shot.  And trust me, when it goes in, there is major cheering and affirmation.  

The special needs population in my congregation is really amazing.  God has shown me so much as I have been more engaged with young people with autism, mental retardation, and learning disabilities.  I have been challenged to listen and learn from each of them as they show me what love without strings attached really looks like, or just how wonderful it can be to hear someone really laugh.  And I've learned just as much from people like these gentleman that play basketball:  It's about giving people opportunities to achieve, to succeed, and to feel encouraged and supported though they may do things differently.  

A couple of those goofy - but amazing youth from LAUMC (The two on the left)
As I arrived at the gym tonight I thought "how are we going to do this."  I knew that the guys wanted to really play and I feared that they would be "put-out" by those who were unable.  I knew the youngest kids wanted to feel included, and frankly, it's easy to just ignore them when you're trying to win.  And I knew that somehow we would all end up playing an interesting game of full-court basketball.  And that's what we did, and everyone had a great time.

We talk a lot about peace during Advent.  So many of us long for peace in our lives and in the world.  I often pray that peace exists within the congregation that I serve, within my family that often has its challenges, and within my spirit.  Peace seems like a difficult thing to achieve or obtain these days, especially as we read again of another shooting, more war, and the inability of our government to make decisions.  How can we even fathom world peace when we can't get along with our neighbors?  It's huge...and yet it is so simple.  Peace exists on the basketball court on Wednesday nights when young people (and sometimes older ones) are more concerned about others than themselves.  Peace comes to life when the score doesn't matter and the experience does.  Peace comes when we are able to laugh at our mistakes and keep on playing hard, giving it our best.  

I'm proud of my church for being a place where everyone is loved as a child of God.  I'm proud of the youth-group God brought together that is like no other youth-group on the planet.  I'm grateful for a God who has the bigger-picture in mind, but lets me be amazed at some of the details.

Peace, friends.





No comments:

Post a Comment