Monday, February 22, 2016

Trust.

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love,
for I have put my trust in you.
Show me the way I should go,
for to you I entrust my life.    
Psalm  143:8
Tonight at pub theology we talked about trust. In these days of constant information overload it is interesting to think about who/what we trust.  It is always fun to talk about these things with my students who have a much different experience of technology than I do, and probably much different than those of you over 50 years of age.  When I was growing up I never wanted a cell phone, knew what text messaging was all about, or had a Facebook page to update.  My friends found out what I was up to when I got to school in the morning or while we were getting ready to play sports or just hang out.  It didn't matter to me how many "likes" a photo got or who was saying what about things.  Our identities these days can get pretty wrapped up in all of this false-publicity.  It is easy to place our trust in these more shallow opinions of others rather than taking seriously the development of friendships and relationships. 

In addition to all of this we hear over and again stories of senseless violence, lives taken too soon and we begin to wonder who we can really trust.  We have probably all watched those Dateline episodes where people assume a false identity on the internet only to end up being predators of some sort.  What are we to do?  

I believe all of this really impacts our ability and understanding of what it means to trust in God.  When we are not really certain how to fully trust another person how can we learn what it means to place our full-trust in God?  In my experience this can be a real stumbling block for spiritual growth.  But I think it really boils down to the same thing I mentioned above:  spending time developing a deep friendship.  

I pray we all have at least one friend in our lives (maybe it's your spouse) that you know you can trust your deepest/darkest secret to.  That one person that will laugh with you, cry with you, and truly keep a secret when you ask.  This type of relationship takes tending, doesn't it?  As in marriage, this deep friendship takes commitment, communication and intention.  

Do we take as much time to develop this deep trusting relationship with God?  Do we spend more time seeking to know God in Scripture and prayer than we do checking our Facebook posts for likes?  Before we send that forward out declaring that Jesus is Lord, do we really think through what it means to submit to Jesus as Lord?  

Though our pub theology conversation was pretty wild tonight it made me question in who/what I place my trust.  How would you answer that question?  In what do we place our worth?  

Trust God from the bottom of your heart;    don’t try to figure out everything on your own.Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go;    he’s the one who will keep you on track.  (Proverbs 3:5-6)

A simple prayer for tonight:  In You O Lord, help me to put my trust.  In You O Lord, help me to find strength and courage greater than fear.  In You, O Lord, may I learn what it means to fully love and be loved fully.  Amen.    
 

No comments:

Post a Comment