Sunday, February 21, 2016

Cake.


One of the things that continually amazes me is how generous people can be.  I realize not all people are generous. I've met many people who think money is the truly the root of happiness, or that prosperity is equal to security.  I woke up early this morning with my "To-Do" list running through my head.  I decided to just go ahead and get up rather than lay there and ponder.  As I was folding laundry, doing dishes, and getting ready for the day I turned on the news.  Immediately I heard the news that a man had gone on a shooting spree in Kalamazoo, killing six and injuring two.  Senseless killing, lives shattered for no reason.  It's scary and horrible and impossible to understand.  

My next move was to go to church.  Today was a big day for Wesley House as we put on our lunch and cake auction fundraiser for our spring break mission trip.  I felt such pride in my students as they showed up early on a Sunday morning to sing some songs in worship, serve lunch, and sell cakes.  They are such good people, kind, compassionate, and strong.  No, we don't always get along seamlessly but when it matters most we know that we are together because God is doing something great and we learn about ourselves as we grow together.  

This is my second cake auction and I can't believe how much people are willing to spend for the cake they want!  Then I realize that it's not about the cake, it's about the students and the ministry.  It's about the recognition that if we want the world to be a better place we must invest in the young adults of today.  When the world is spinning out of control I am always so grateful for the time I spend with these "kids".  They remind me that God is at work, alive, and moving.
"For everything, absolutely everything, above and below, visible and invisible, rank after rank after rank of angels—everything got started in him and finds its purpose in him. He was there before any of it came into existence and holds it all together right up to this moment."  Colossians 1
This Scripture tells me that even when I don't understand a situation in my life or in the world I can trust that God has not abandoned us.  It helps me to realize that when our actions are rooted in love and generosity we catch glimpses of the Kingdom of God, the one that's not overwhelmed with sin and darkness.  I want to be motivated by the kind of generosity that sees the good potential in other people, the spirit of giving that doesn't ask "what's in it for me?" or look through eyes filled with skepticism.  God doesn't limit us by our circumstances or our talents, God offers us endless possibilities.  These possibilities aren't always comfortable or even clearly understood, but when we look through eyes that trust in God we can live out of a mentality of abundance rather than fear scarcity.  

Tonight I pray for the people in Kalamazoo.  I pray for the people in Syria.  I pray for parents who have lost children to senseless acts of violence rooted in power, for all who grieve.  I pray for this crazy world, for the reformation of the mental healthcare system, for people who are lost and lonely.  In the midst of this prayer I see the light of God shining in this generation of young adults.  I see strong leaders being raised up that will do all they can to impact the world for the better.  I see students who face deadlines and midterms yet give of their time and talents, in order that they have the opportunity to serve and build relationships with the homeless and hungry in New York City.  

You are going to get tired of me writing about this, but if we as the Church don't put our energy, time, and resources into those who are younger we will only perpetuate these cycles of violence and tragedy that we face today.  The Christian church will become obsolete, caught up in it's own self-righteousness.  

So tonight I am grateful for the people in our community that are not only generous, but loving.  For people who spent $200 on a cake in order that students come into contact with the life-changing Holy Spirit while on a mission trip.  I pray that the eyes of our hearts can be opened up to God's work in our midst, to opportunities to be generous in love that others might come to know God's love in and through us.  

How have you been generous in love today?

No comments:

Post a Comment