Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Sssssshhhhhhhhh.

Then Jesus said, "Whoever has ears to hear, let them hear."

Jesus says this a couple of times in Scripture after he has shared a parable in hopes that the gathered people will not only hear but understand in their souls what he is trying to say.  As we all know there are many levels of interpretation to the things we say.  Sometimes the intentions behind our words are misconstrued and taken the wrong way.  In these days of texting and email it can be even more challenging to decipher the motive behind the print.  There is something quite valuable about taking the time to listen, really listen to someone.

Listening is hard.  It's easy for our brains to jump into "response-mode" where we get concerned about what we should say back and we forget to listen to what is being said.  Many of us want to be fixers of the problems of those we love, so rather than listen we are ready to offer advice to fix everything.  Being a good listener is a gift, speaking to someone who is really engaged and listening is an honor.

I've been a great talker ever since I learned how.  I clearly remember parent-teacher conferences year after year when my parents would come home and let me know that my teachers thought I talked too much.  Eventually I think they just gave up.  Talking too much is problematic sometimes, especially when it gets in the way of listening.  I've always heard that there is a reason God gave us two ears and one mouth - we should listen twice as much as we talk!  How are you at listening?  Do you offer the gift of a listening ear to the ones you love?  How about to the stranger?  And to God?  When is the last time you felt you were truly listened to?

I love that Jesus tries to offer guidance and care for the people by sharing in parables.  I love even more that he ends by saying "if you have ears, hear!"  Rather than getting caught up in the confusion of trying to justify or defend we are simply called to hear, to listen.  When we really listen we are changed by the gift of other's willingness to share a bit of who they are with us.

Who is God calling you to listen to?

No comments:

Post a Comment