Monday, March 2, 2015

#Kellyonmymind

Today a part of me was put to death.
Hope in justice.
The lady on death row.
That was me.
A sinner of the worst kind.
That was me.
Redeemed by grace.
Jesus voice to the forgotten.
The lady on death row.
That was me.
That was you.

At this very moment a woman named Kelly is waiting for a judgment from the US Supreme Court.  She's waiting with the IV in her arm, waiting for the lethal dose to take her into the loving arms of Jesus. She embodies the story of redemption, a woman who played a part in the killing of her husband.  It was her idea, but the guy who pulled the trigger is going to be free in a matter of years.  In the meantime she's been studying theology and received a degree from my alma mater, Candler School of Theology.  She's been ministering the inmates, offering them the same grace that has radically transformed her life.  She may be the first woman put to death in Georgia in 70 years.

It's not just because she studied theology that I pray for her life this evening.  I think it's because I need to believe in the power of redemption.  Everywhere I've preached in the last few weeks I've asked the folks if they still believe that God is in the business of redeeming the world, and that the church is the vehicle through which that redemption takes place.  I have to believe that - that the call to serve Christ is not some futile attempt to just do good in my little piece of the world.  I have to believe that God is redeeming this world piece by piece, person by person, because I have experienced that redemption in my own life.  I have to believe that a Governor who claims that abortion is killing but executing someone is justice will one day be confronted by a God of redemptive justice and mercy.  I have to believe that we are not defined by one horrible life decision, though certainly we must reap the consequences of that decision.

Studying the death penalty lends one to understand the real injustice of the system.  African American people are far more likely to receive a death sentence, not to mention less-than-adequate representation.  People who are executed often suffer from mental health disorders.  It is no just nor fair.  Just read more about it if you're not sure.

But for me the bottom line comes in the faith that Christ came for all sinners to build a bridge to a loving Creator.  Christ ate with the sinners, tax collectors and according to Luke even offered grace to the thief suffering the same death-penalty sentence.  Christ came to abolish the need for sacrifice, to show and teach about the redemptive power of grace, not to judge and destroy but to offer life, and life abundant.

She is me - I am her.  You who are without sin, cast the first stone.

We are all in this together.
God is in the business of redemption - whether it be in this life or the next.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment