Thursday, March 5, 2015

Heaviness.



A few of my students must feel like this donkey today - the burdens of the world outweighing their strength.  I know we can all relate!  When the worries, the concerns, the questions seem to take us right out of the game.  That's always when I hear these familiar words ring in my ears:


I've always thought about this yoke and how so many people are quick to say, "Give it to God" when trying to encourage someone not to worry.  It's really hard to just "give" something away and I don't really think that's what Jesus intended in this passage.  The yoke isn't just worn by Jesus so he can carry all of our burdens, rather we carry them together.  We aren't just off the hook - but we are reminded that we never face difficulties alone.  I think true rest, true peace can come in knowing that we don't always have to have answers or the right words for every situation - but that good can come even from the darkest, hardest times.

When we are yoked with Christ it's not just about our burdens, it is about the burdens of Christ as well. As we enter into this agreement we also pick up the call to care for our neighbors, to serve and to love.  We are in this together, with Christ.

Come to me, all you who are weary and heavy laden.  I will give you rest.

May we all find rest and peace in knowing that we are loved by the One who creates, redeems, and sustains.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment