Thursday, February 19, 2015

Ashes and Humility.

Campus ministry is an interesting beast.  I think that is a phrase that will stick with me no matter how long I serve the UMC in this way.  Interesting for many reasons - like no two days are the same, you never know what might happen (at any time of day), every semester is like starting a new church, and university red tape is really confusing!  When serving in the church there are some roadblocks that all pastors face, like those people that will do whatever they can to avoid change.  As a Wesley director there is a TON of freedom.  Students are generally excited to try something new and if it doesn't work it's no big deal.  We can worship with the most contemporary music and then sing "Father Abraham" or "I am a C"and laugh our heads off. With the freedom comes the mystery.  How do we reach out to students?  What would make a student leave their dorm room and come worship with us?  What distinguishes Wesley Campus Ministries from all the others? How do we navigate the university system here at Ferris that is not particularly concerned with the spiritual development of its students?  

I've never been one of those people that thinks religion should be shoved into the spotlight at all costs.  I'm ok with separating our court system from our systems of faith.  I don't have an agenda for posting the Ten Commandments or telling people that believe or live differently than I do that they're wrong.  I'm pretty sure that our God is much bigger than the categories we put one another in - and that God doesn't judge nearly as harshly as we do.  I think that's what makes doing ministry on a college campus pretty cool.  Sharing Love is as easy as handing out a popsicle or cup of hot chocolate. I think we are the ministry on this campus that doesn't expect everyone involved to even believe.  It's about loving people into relationship.  And yesterday I was challenged by the keepers of the rules.  (I might like to call them Pharisees, but they're just doing their jobs.)



Making Ash Wednesday approachable and a teachable moment for folks is pretty cool.  So why not take it to the public right?  I thought so anyway - until I was asked to leave for "soliciting."  There I sat at a small table (where we always meet for Bible study) where folks gather to study or eat.  I had a small sign and a few papers to explain what Ash Wednesday and Lent are all about.  I was just sitting, trying not to feel all peculiar about being there.  Being asked to leave was frustrating, but being called out for "solicitation" really made me mad.  He made it sound like I was running after folks throwing ashes at them yelling "repent."  

It was one of those moments that I did not handle all that well - and definitely one that I thought "I wish I would have said..."  But in the end it just made me feel embarrassed and a little frustrated.  I can't imagine the emotions Jesus went through as he was told again and again to "stop" or "go away."  I would have wimped out.  I would have said something mean and failed to be the presence of God.  

None of us like to feel foolish or be misunderstood.  Unfortunately it happens to all of us at some point, and yet we trust with great excitement that one day our God will be revealed to all people.  I can't wait to be embraced by the Light, Love, Mercy and Grace that is our God.  

These sentiments are similar to those of the Psalmist in the 25th chapter:

 My head is high, God, held high;

I’m looking to you, God;
No hangdog skulking for me.

I’ve thrown in my lot with you;

You won’t embarrass me, will you?
Or let my enemies get the best of me?
Don’t embarrass any of us

Who went out on a limb for you.
It’s the traitors who should be humiliated.

Show me how you work, God;

School me in your ways.

Take me by the hand;

Lead me down the path of truth.
You are my Savior, aren’t you?

Mark the milestones of your mercy and love, God;

Rebuild the ancient landmarks!

Forget that I sowed wild oats;

Mark me with your sign of love.
Plan only the best for me, God!

God is fair and just;

He corrects the misdirected,
Sends them in the right direction.

He gives the rejects his hand,

And leads them step-by-step.

From now on every road you travel
Will take you to God.
Follow the Covenant signs;
Read the charted directions.

All of us navigate the different paths in our lives.  Living out our faith and passion can be hindered by process, rules, and red-tape - but even these roads, often the ones with the most bumps and hills, lead us to God.  I realized this as students circled the table for the rest of my time in that space, as they laughed and together we celebrated the movement of the Spirit in that place.    

It's all good.  It's all God.  Thanks be to God.




No comments:

Post a Comment