Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Lent Devotion: Build Each Other Up

I have struggled to write this devotion today.  It's the first day that I have stared blankly at the computer screen just praying something profound (or at least interesting) would come to me.  Here it is 10:15pm and I'm just now getting started.  My brain may have decided to take spring vacation without my permission.  Maybe I just have spring fever?  Maybe it is the full-moon making things a little crazy?  (Anybody see a werewolf?)  

As I stare at my computer screen I looked up at the bulletin board above my desk.  On it are a variety of things:  Pictures of the cutest niece in existence, planning calendars, and a variety of interesting post-it notes.  These notes show up from time to time and always bring a smile to my heart.  Sometimes before worship, the youth get a hold of the post-its.  Today I found some wonderful little notes, wishing me a beautiful day.  One told me I was "the best" and another told me that "I am out of tape."  Some may call it clutter, but for me these little notes remind me to pray and help me to focus on the big picture of ministry.

1 Thessalonians 5:9-11 reminds us of the power of our words.  
"God didn't set us up for an angry rejection but for salvation buy our Master, Jesus Christ.  He died for us, a death that triggered life.  Whether we're awake with the living or asleep with the dead, we're alive with him!  So speak encouraging words to one another.  Build up hope so you'll all be together in this, no one left out, no one left behind.  I know you're already doing this; just keep on doing it."  

How important it is for us to do what we can to build each other up - to build up hope, since we really are all in this journey of life together.  How have you encouraged someone today?  What might you do to be a hope-builder?  I pray that you have little encouraging reminders in your life, that as you look around your home or office you can find evidence of loving relationships and joy.

Prayer:  Lord, help me to encourage others.  Show me how to build up rather than tear down, to be a giver of hope rather than discouragement.  I pray that the power of your love and grace would overcome those places in my where feelings of sorrow or discouragement exist.   Tonight I pray that you make me more like You.  Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment