Thursday, May 7, 2020

Holding Hands.

Confessions of a Recovering Control Freak | HR Without Ego

One of the hardest parts of this time seems to be our loss of control.  We have been asked to stay home, many have been told not to go to work, and it feels limiting and frustrating.  I suppose this is why we see some humans behaving the way they are, with anger declaring their "rights" and claiming privilege that is not universal right now.  It is a classic human move when things are uncertain, to grab onto as much control as possible. 

Why do we do that?  Life is easier when we know the rules, when we know the consequences of our actions, and when we get to determine the next steps. We want to be in charge because we know what we want, and usually how to get it.  Sometimes it shows up when we are working with other people and we let them know that they aren't doing it "the right" way, or our way.  Have you ever heard yourself say, "If I want this done right, I will just do it myself!" 

Today I found myself bombarded by messages containing videos and information claiming that all of this has been some manipulative scheme to control people.  I hope you didn't waste valuable minutes getting all worked up about all of that today.  What I recognize at the core of that message is a deep thread of fear and a desire to regain control.  Being afraid can make us do all sorts of things, but it usually wants us to grasp onto any truth that we can find, and control not only our thoughts, but the thoughts and actions of others.  This turns upside down our ability to rationalize, to live compassionately, and to see outside ourselves.

I can get overwhelmed when I feel a loss of control, and it helps me to write down the things that I can control and to take an inventory of that over which I have influence. Generally, that helps me realize that I cannot control what anyone else says, does, or believes.  What we can always control are our responses to situations, actions, and people.  We can control how we engage conflict and fear.  We can control the impact other people have on us, and we do not have to allow in that which is detrimental to our being.  

Isaiah 41:13 says:

For I am the Lord your God
    who takes hold of your right hand
and says to you, Do not fear;
    I will help you.

When the things of life get a little chaotic, and we aren't sure what shape the next steps will take, it might be hard to reach out for the strong promise of God's faithfulness. Yet it is exactly in this reaching out that we are reminded that we stand on solid ground.  Reaching out with a truly discerning spirit removes the desire to control, and asks for God's wisdom to step in and guide and direct us.  Practically living our faith calls us into the recognition that more important than getting my needs met is taking the path that meets the needs of the whole Body of Christ.  This is the definition of beloved community, and this is the call of the church.  

So tonight if you are feeling like you need more control, like you want something you just can't have yet and are learning patience the hard way, or you just aren't sure which way to turn with all of this news & social media - reach out your hand, slip it into the faithful hand of God, and you will not be disappointed.  God's hands are strong, capable, and big enough for all of us.  It is here where we find rest.  

Holding you in the Light, friends.
Pastor Devon


1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Devon. Best quote I heard today from Andrew Cuomo: When emotions run high, logic is low. I too was dismayed with all of the conspiracy theory messages I was seeing. I appreciate your words of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete