Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Normal

Last night I got my head and heart into a space that just longed for something normal.  To be clear, I have nothing to complain about because I am not working on the front lines like our grocery store clerks and medical caregivers and workers.  But nothing right now is normal.  Everything that has brought my soul such joy in the past few months has changed.  The ministry that I know how to do can't happen, and I've been thrown so far out of my comfort zone that I can't even see it anymore.  My #2 Enneagram wiring wants to help, help, help...and I find myself home by myself more than I have been in years and years.  Do you long for normal? Will normal even be normal anymore when this is over?

Today I had a glimmer of normalcy.  I was able to be with people as they buried a loved one.  It meant getting dressed in my pastor-power clothes, actually doing my hair, and being present in a semi-normal, 6ft away kind of way.  As much as I wanted to hug all the people we kept our distance, said our prayers and goodbyes.  Life has a funny way of shaking us up once in a while, and this has certainly done that for me in all sorts of ways.  But there's one thing that I've known for a long time that has only been affirmed in these weeks.  While much of organized religion can be difficult, the one thing we have to offer that the world needs is the power of community.  Sure, you can join a club or meet up with friends.  But the power of a whole group of people praying for you and lifting you up can't be beat.  That's the gift of the church - even when we are social distancing.  
This Scripture from Hebrews 12 came to mind this afternoon:  
Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us,  looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith, who for the sake of the joy that was set before him endured the cross, disregarding its shame, and has taken his seat at the right hand of the throne of God.
Consider him who endured such hostility against himself from sinners, so that you may not grow weary or lose heart.
I sometimes think about this "great cloud of witnesses" and see them sort of cheering us on down here.  Maybe that seems silly, but all these people who for generations have lived their faith and poured themselves into their lives, shaping faith communities, encouraging young people, and trusting that running the race is worth every moment, even when it's hard - they make me realize that we must continue to put one foot in front of the other, because it might lead to one more person encountering the transformational love of God.  
We are heading into the most moving part of Holy Week, where we remember the outpouring of love on the cross.  And though it is far from a normal week, we must travel this road, recognizing that sacrificial love is key to our receiving the hope of resurrection.  May we run with perseverance, this race to which we have been called!
Be Well,
Pastor Devon


No comments:

Post a Comment