Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Kindness.


When I was in college and really struggling with whether God was actually calling me into the ministry, I had the opportunity to attend a retreat.  The United Methodist Church holds retreats called "Exploration" for young people that feel a call to ministry.  For me this was one huge step toward answering this call.  I remember though, that I was concerned about paying for my airline ticket to get to Tampa.  Someone who believed in me before I believed in myself donated the last $100 that I needed to make this trip a reality.  I found out by a phone call and it wasn't until years later that I realized who gave me this random act of kindness.  This time away with other young adults who were feeling similarly really gave me the foundation to continue on soul-searching.  

Today I got to be the face of a generous church, as we delivered sandwiches and chips to our hospital, in order that all the people working there had lunch.  We aren't unique in reaching out to the essential workers among us, but I noticed the joy that this food brought about.  It wasn't the sandwich that did it, though Three Girls Bakery did an amazing job. I think what brought about joy was the fact that people felt seen, noticed, and appreciated.  

It is easy to go about our lives without paying attention to the people on the periphery.  It is easy to get so focused on our own lives that we don't notice the people who are longing to be seen.  Yet, when someone does something unexpectedly kind for us it can make all the difference.  People these days are often quite skeptical when you just do something to be kind, to share compassion with no strings attached.  I think that is sad.

I long for a world where taking care of one another is not conditional, and kindness is the norm, rather than the exception.  Have you ever received a gift like this?  One that made you feel seen and loved, encouraged and lifted up?

I would not be a pastor today if it were not for people who saw something in me that I did not see.  Who are the people in your life that continually offer you kindness?  Have you thanked them lately?

How can we be intentional about our acts of kindness in the midst of this pandemic?  What can we do as individuals, what else can we do as a church?  Mostly tonight I encourage you to think about the last 24 hours.  Where did kindness rule the day?  Are there places where you could have been kinder, that you can resolve before you sleep tonight?  How did you offer kindness this day?

Let's get to it....random acts of kindness will change this world...

Pastor Devon

No comments:

Post a Comment