Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Snacks and Mags.


Well friends, I wonder, how are you holding up today?  What are you reading?  And, how's your snack supply? In the last 24-hours  I've had all sorts of thoughts running through my head:

  • Do I really have enough toilet paper?
  • Is now the time to adopt a doggy, or ALL the doggies?
  • Maybe a road-trip with a full backpack and a long hike is the way to go?
  • I should clean my house and match all the socks that don't match. But I don't want to.
  • Why am I so sad and grumpy?  I have tons of books to read!
  • Why is this day lasting so long, when usually I never have enough time?
  • I wonder how to use this time to grow our church...is that possible?
I guess, in the end....and thankfully in much better head/heart space this afternoon, I am finding myself really open to what it is that God can teach me throughout this time.  Obviously, I still have so much to learn. Much like you, I am sure, my pace of life is pretty jam-packed with great stuff.  I get to spend time with wonderful people who remind me every single day that God is moving and working.  I get to love the cutest kiddos, and learn from the wisest elders.  And we laugh....often.

Into the middle of full-speed ministry comes the ultimate slow-down, coupled with high anxiety and all-consuming fear.  These are three things that are contrary to my entire wiring - and they are so easy to get swept up in.  I don't want to get swept up - how about you?  So, let's think about what we can learn about God, ourselves, and each other through whatever may come.  

One of the hardest parts of this has been the realization that there is so much we, as humans, cannot control.  But, isn't that at the very root of our understanding of faith?  Trusting God feels much more difficult when I can't control all the normal things.  There's a great lesson here.  

So far today I have been reminded of the value of the people around me.  They are gifted and generous, loving and kind, intelligent and skilled in ways I am not.  What is God teaching you today?  

Trust God from the bottom of your heart;
    don’t try to figure out everything on your own.
Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go;
God’s the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:5-6

Prayer:  God, who keeps us on track, help us be open to You in the midst of the unknown.  Calm our fears, connect us in new ways and grant us an awareness of those people who are feeling the most isolated and alone.  Help us to hear your voice of calm this day.  Amen.  

Lots of love to you - Pastor Devon



No comments:

Post a Comment