Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Hijacked.


This quote from the great JW is one that is paraphrased in many different ways, but the point is always the same - people love passion, people follow enthusiasm, and both passion and enthusiasm can lead to change.  When is the last time you were really filled with passion about something?  I find that it is in these types of moments that we are confronted with who we really are - the deepest parts of ourselves set on fire by a cause, or something much bigger than "I".

When I decided to apply for the campus ministry job at Ferris I really didn't know what I was getting myself into.  Basically I felt that if I was going to keep saying how important it was to support young adults and campus ministry I should put my feet where my mouth was - realizing that there's only so many years that one can really be effective in this type of ministry.  So I trusted the nudging in my spirit and accepted the job.  It's been quite the transition in many ways as I really see myself as more of a pastor, than a director.  I miss so much about serving in the local church, but in the last nine months I have realized how imperative it is that campus ministry be a priority for the UMC at this time.  At least I really feel this is the case for my conference, West Michigan.

Last spring at our annual meeting Wesley Campus Ministries made a huge push for more funding.  Funding for campus ministries had been cut for years (more drastically than nearly all other ministries.)  We asked the conference to agree to support a full-time director position for five college campuses.  It was a heated debate on the floor of annual conference.  It passed as people became aware of the enthusiasm and passion for young adult ministry.  It passed because of the young adults who were present and unafraid as they spoke to the people gathered in the assembly.

Financially speaking the floor of Annual Conference is not the place to change the budget in such a drastic way, especially in light of the great challenges we face financially at this time.  The UMC is dealing with shrinking finances (and a shrinking # of people).  The crunch is real - and it effects our ability to be the UMC as each line of the budget faces the chopping block.

In the last two months I have heard multiple times that the Wesley directors need to be kept away from the microphones at conference, that we sabotaged the assembly, that we hijacked the budget for our own desires.  I wonder what JW would have to say to us.  It seems SO absurd to me that while this great flame is catching fire - while Wesley ministries develop young Christian leaders, offer challenging spiritual growth opportunities, focus young people on the power of missions and connection to the larger church - while all of this amazing growth is happening there is this spirit of competition for funds.  Rather than our leadership jumping on board with this "spark" we are seen as a threat - though what happened last year only occurred because there was no other option for us.  For ten years ministry funds have been cut, and cut again.  It seems the conference has spoken and desires for this ministry to be a priority.  Is this a democracy?  I'm beginning to wonder.

Though I've only been a Wesley Director for nine months I can tell you without a doubt that this is the only really effective young adult ministry I have ever been a part of.  It is only by having our presence in the midst of college life that we are able to see within these students the amazing leadership potential that rises to the surface when given a chance to blossom.  Students are learning about the inner-workings of the church, speaking about the call God has placed on their lives, singing in praise together as a group.  There's nothing quite like a bunch of college students genuinely worshiping God.  There is hope in this.  Hope for the UMC, hope for the future, hope for the Church.
Last week on mission trip I tried to sing the song Pass it On.  You probably know it -
"It only takes a spark to get a fire going,
And soon all those around can warm up in its glowing;
That's how it is with God's Love,
Once you've experienced it,
Your spread the love to everyone
You want to pass it on." 

It's a spark that gets a fire going.  I believe that these campus ministries are the spark that can ignite a passion for the life of our church again - that we can look to this powerful movement of the Spirit as a sign of hope, a sign of God's faithfulness.  Why are we so afraid to trust in this movement?  Why is it so hard for us to trust that God will provide enough if we are faithful to God's movement in our midst.  Could it be that spending money on young adults now might save our church in the future?  Might it lead to a re-prioritizing of all facets of this beloved "budget" that reflects what our church is to be about?

We all have passions and enthusiasm for the things we love.  I admit that my enthusiasm for Wesley has only grown as I have seen the fruit of the extra funds, the extra time spent in relationship with young adults who are in love with Jesus.  Yes there are lots of things to which we can give money and time - but I now recognize that this is one of the most fruitful investments we can make at this time, in this place.

Just a few thoughts I needed to get out of my head before I lose faith in humanity. As one who may serve in this conference for thirty more years I have hope that the future may not be as bleak as the present.  

Sometimes God hijacks our best-laid plans - sometimes people with passion hijack the politically correct process - often it is in these times when we really see what is most important.  

May God set us on fire that others may come from miles to watch us burn.  Amen.  

1 comment: