Monday, November 3, 2014

More Heart....Less Attack

I'm pretty geeked that tonight is the last night I will have to listen to political ads, how about you?  I'm always amazed at how pointed these ads are - so often failing to speak of what a candidate represents, but quick to point out why their competition is terrible.  We live in a world where fear keeps us on the defensive.  Whether it's politics or religion we are constantly bombarded with information (and mis-information) that keeps us at odds with one another.  The hardest part is that as we do our best to discern our own beliefs we often realize that we are at odds with the people we love.  

It is so easy to attack the "other" no matter what that other might be.  Every single day I am confronted by "gray-area" questions and ideas, while at the same time I am sent email forwards and Facebook pictures claiming that "this" is what God has to say about the matter.  My question becomes, why do we have to be so certain?  

After a great conversation with my DS today I realized that we are all just trying our best to figure God out.  We want the details,  We want to know where "God" stands on this or that issue.  It is just not that easy!  If God wanted us to have God-size knowledge we would.  God continues to reveal God's self every single day - and yet there is still more to discover, uncover, and grasp!  It is when we think we have it all figured out that we really have the most to learn.  Especially when what we think we know leads to unfair judgement of another.

Often when I'm confronted with people who just plain disagree with me (whether it be my theology or just my personality) it makes me want to react.  Perhaps it is the competitive spirit that resides in my soul.  It's easy for me to wish people would just get it, because I'm so certain that I have been enlightened on this or that.  It's easier to react then to love.  

So on this eve of election day I challenge you to vote (of course).  More than that I challenge you to be someone who loves first.  More Heart and Less Attack is a song from NeedtoBreathe, a group that I'm loving right now.  I've been listening to this today and it really speaks to me.  Maybe it will speak to you too?  The lyrics and the link to listen are below.

In the meantime I think this idea is something from which we can all learn - more heart and less attack.  It's a message for the church, it's a message for you and me.  I think it's Christ's message.  


Here are the lyrics, and the link to the video is below:



Be the light in the cracks
Be the one that's mending the camel’s back
Slow to anger and quick to laugh
Be more heart and less attack

Be the wheels not the track
Be the wanderer that's coming back
Leave the past right where it's at
Be more heart and less attack

The more you take, the less you have
‘Cause it’s you in the mirror that's starin’ back
Quick to let go, slow to react
Be more heart and less attack

Ever growing, steadfast
And if need be, the one that's in the gap
Be the never turning back
Twice the heart any man could have

Be the wheels not the track
Be the wanderer that's coming back
Leave the past right where it's at
Be more heart and less attack
Be more heart and less attack

I stuck my hat out
I caught the rain drops
I drank the water
I felt my veins pop
I’m nearly sanctified
I’m nearly broken
I’m down the river, I’m nearly open
I’m down the river, to where I’m going


No comments:

Post a Comment