Thursday, April 17, 2014

Lent Devotion: Beautiful Feet

Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist.  After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.
He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, “Lord, are you going to wash my feet?”
Jesus replied, “You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand.”
“No,” said Peter, “you shall never wash my feet.”
Jesus answered, “Unless I wash you, you have no part with me.”
“Then, Lord,” Simon Peter replied, “not just my feet but my hands and my head as well!”


This Scripture is from the Gospel of John, chapter 13.  If you have attended a Maundy Thursday service, you probably heard it.  Today we celebrate many things, from Passover (Exodus 12) to Jesus new mandate (Maundy) to love one another.  We remember the sacrifice of Jesus as we commemorate the Last Supper with the disciples in the Upper Room.  

I realized today that I become the ultimate worship nerd at times like this.  I want to go all out, to do whatever it takes for people to experience the love and faithfulness of God as we approach the cross.  It isn't just about decorating tables or sanctuaries, it is about experiencing the reality of what was, and the joy of what has been offered to us through Jesus' life, death and resurrection.  

Sometimes I feel a lot like Peter.  Peter always wants to go the extra mile with Jesus.  He wants to be the "best" disciple he can be.  He wants Jesus to know he is loyal and passionate about his friendship.  Tonight as I read the above Scripture aloud I thought about Peter's willingness to do whatever it took to be close to Christ.  He is ready for a bath, while Jesus is simply trying to serve the ones he loves.  Again the tables are turned as Jesus humbles himself to wash the feet of those who have done the following.  Peter isn't sure he should receive this gift at first, and then he gets a little over-zealous in trying to connect with Jesus.

I think one of the more difficult aspects of faith this time of year is the challenge that comes in being open to receiving.  Most of us are really great at giving.  It feels great to give something to someone else.  It can be really difficult to receive, to say thank you and just be grateful.  Think about it.  I'm sure you have been given a compliment, only to turn around and say, "No...."  Perhaps you have been given a gift and rather than just receive and be grateful you feel guilty that you have nothing to reciprocate.  Faith is a gift - and no matter how hard we work for God we will never be able to do enough to "earn" the free gift of grace.  Faith requires an openness to receiving.  

Peter learned many lessons from Jesus.  I imagine that along with his growth in faith and maturity, he became a person who could receive the gift of a friendship with Jesus (no strings attached.)  

So tonight, a simple reminder that I have been told many times before, "Nothing you can do will make God love you more.  Nothing you do will make God love you less."  It is about our ability to receive with open hearts - and then to share the gift with others.

Prayer:  Giver of life, love, and peace tonight I come to you with gratitude.  I thank you for the people you have placed in my life that have shown me how to receive with grace.  Help me this Holy Thursday to truly receive the gifts of salvation, love, and faith as I prepare to journey to the cross with Christ tomorrow.  Mold me, shape me, fill me by your Spirit.  Amen.  

2 comments:

  1. Nicely stated Pastor Devon! May God grant you peaceful sleep, as you transition from Maunday Thursday to Easter Sunday.

    ReplyDelete