Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Lent Devotional: Hump Daaaay!



Happy as a camel on Wednesday...it's become the catch phrase for celebrating that we are half-way to the weekend.  If you're not into camels you may have heard this little ditty before:


It is easy to take our days for granted.  It is too easy to wish time away.  Often we place our hope in the future, waiting for something special or a certain time to pass before we cherish the time we have with family and friends.  Why wait?

Today I found out that a colleague suffered a severe stroke.  This person was one of my pastors growing up and the father of one of my high school best friends.  It seems that life is quite fragile.  We cannot always prepare or even see what is heading our way.  I am sure all of us have experienced this type of thing, whether it be a diagnosis or an accident.  Life can change so quickly.  So again I ask, "Why wait?"

Today in South Haven we woke up to lots of heavy, wet, slippery snow.  This is not a good thing on March 12th, after two sunny days.  Attitudes are a little sketchy when the snow flies at this point.  Yet we can rejoice in this day because it has been given to us.  

How have you served God today?  How have you found the space to rejoice in the moment?  What can you do to help others recognize the gift of this day?

Prayer:  God you have given me this day and for that I am grateful.  Help me to rejoice and celebrate in even the most mundane of days.  I lift up this pastor who needs to know the power of your healing touch in his life.  I also lift up all of those who struggle with illness or other ailments that keep them from the joy of living fully.  For family, friends, and community I thank you.  Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment