Friday, March 7, 2014

Lent Devotional: Day Three

Ever have one of those days that seems to go on forever?  Usually these are the days when you are working or doing some task that might not be your favorite.  Today has been like this for me.  I was bitten by the flu-bug last night which translated to a very low-key day today.  I can't remember the last time I have been this still, resting, watching daytime television, letting Chunk outside and back in.  The sunshine streaming through the windows makes me want to get out there and enjoy it!  It felt like a heat wave today, though I know it was only near 40 degrees.  (Anybody get their shorts out yet?)  

Silence and stillness have never been very welcomed parts in my faith journey.  I have been teased and challenged by many who encourage me to develop that part of my life, but I'd much rather put on some music or get together with a group of people.  This is one of the things that challenges me about seasons like Advent and Lent, the waiting and call to be still before the Lord.  

Psalm 46 says:
God is our refuge and strength,
    an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
    and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam
    and the mountains quake with their surging.[c]
There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
    the holy place where the Most High dwells.
God is within her, she will not fall;
    God will help her at break of day.
Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall;
    he lifts his voice, the earth melts.
The Lord Almighty is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Come and see what the Lord has done,
    the desolations he has brought on the earth.
He makes wars cease
    to the ends of the earth.
He breaks the bow and shatters the spear;
    he burns the shields[d] with fire.
10 He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth.”
11 The Lord Almighty is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our fortress.
While watching the news today I learned of the death of a young hockey player with a bright future.  He died in his sleep.  It is easy in times like this to wonder why or to question God.  This Psalm speaks to our desire to know the answers, while affirming the powerful presence of God.  Even in the midst of loss, grief, and pain we can trust in the strength of the Almighty!  

When is the last time you were still before God? Are there places in your life that seem to be in turmoil?  Are there deep questions to which you long for answers?  How is God speaking to you?  Won't it be a wonderful day when God is exalted among the nations and earth and we know what it means to live in true peace.  


Prayer:  God, today I give you thanks for the beauty of creation.  I thank you for your continued faithfulness to me and those I love.  I pray for peace this day in the many places where there is war, strife, and persecution.  In the midst of my busy days help me to be still and hear your voice in my life. Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment